8/29/2006

Katrina residents have taken crime with them

New Orleans high crime rate has been transfered to other cities as its former residents have moved.

The murder rate in the Texan city has soared by almost 20 per cent since 150,000 Katrina evacuees arrived in August last year. According to police
statistics, they are involved - as victim or killer - in one of every five homicides.

In the gun stores and on the shooting ranges of America's oil industry capital, business is booming as fearful locals take their defence into their own hands and buy concealed weapons licences that allow them to travel armed. . . . . .


This is something that I don't believe that I have seen studied in an academic paper. Steve Bronars and I have a paper on geographical movement of crime in the May 1998 AER, but that is the closest thing that I know of.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live in Houston and remember fondly going to the Reliant Center here with $300 worth of food and supplies to help out with the New Orleans evacuees. It is a shame that we are now experiencing a crime wave due to some of them that stayed here.

However, let's not forget that Houston has been experiencing a crime wave for some time.. the illegal aliens coming across our southern border are here in Houston en masse, and there is a crime wave associated with that.

I'm thankful I have a conceal carry license and can carry my Sig on me at all times.. a little personal safety I could not enjoy living in San Francisco years back..

Brian

8/29/2006 10:05 AM  
Blogger Guav said...

This is not surprising in the least, given that New Orleans had a high crime rate. Becoming a refugee does not turn someone into a law-abiding citizen :)

8/29/2006 10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home