5/04/2008

One person who was removed from jury duty over his views on concealed handguns

David Friedman has a substantial post on his website regarding his recent experience with jury duty. In part, he wrote this:

I informed the judge that I had been at least peripherally involved in the academic controversy over whether people should be allowed to carry concealed firearms. When the judge asked if I would judge the case according to the law rather than according to my own moral beliefs, I replied (truthfully) that I would not. I was dismissed from that case, sent back to be reassigned and, since they apparently didn't need jurors for any other cases at that point, sent home. . . .

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing wrong with removing persons for their views on issues or events. During voire dire I was once asked if the fact that the defendant had twice before been convicted of rape of a minor would give rise to a bias against the defendant.

The answer? Yes. I was summarily excused.

5/04/2008 12:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Friedman was very clearly not removed from a jury because of any personal views he had. He was removed because of his answer to the question about whether he would decide a case based on the law.

5/07/2008 4:33 PM  
Blogger John Lott said...

Dear 2nd Anonymous:

This is kind of a fine line that you are drawing. He felt strongly enough about the issue that he couldn't ignore his views and decide the issue solely on the base of the law.

5/07/2008 9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home