10/31/2010

Something to remember next time campaign finance reformers talk about a Presidential candidate spending a $100 million

From Bob Cringely, who often comments on the technology industry:

But is it just me or are you, too, having a hard time seeing the $400 million that Microsoft claims to be spending on this product launch?
Redmond spent $100 million launching Windows 95, a number that set something of a record for its time and stood for long as the standard amount to spend if big companies were trying to make a point based mainly on the depth of their pockets. For Windows 7 (not Windows 7 Phone) I recall Microsoft set a new record, blowing-through $200 million. So when I read that they’d be spending $400 million on Windows Phone 7 — now this was something I had to see. I expected to find a Microsoft billboard on my garage door.
Not yet.
Given inflation (remember that?) $400 million doesn’t buy what it used to, but I still expected Windows Phone 7 to be as omnipresent as Windows 95 or Windows 7. And it’s out there, but the effort simply doesn’t feel like $400 million worth of marketing oomph. . . .

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home